They say knowledge is power, and that’s certainly accurate when talking about your air conditioner. While challenging repairs are best left to professionals, it’s helpful to have a basic understanding of your air conditioner and how to solve everyday AC issues.
Learning how your AC works and the common problems it faces will enable you to deal with simple problems without needing to call an HVAC specialist every time. This not only saves you dollars on minor service calls, but understanding when to contact a professional can help prevent small issues from escalating into major repairs.
Your Air conditioner is an essential part of your home comfort. Because of that, you should always err on the side of caution and call a NATE-certified technician for air conditioning repair in Mechanicsburg if you're uncertain about any aspect of your AC's operation or maintenance.
Here are some common questions people ask our experts about their air conditioners:
1. How Should I Clean My Air Conditioner?
Cleaning your AC is a good way to make sure it operates efficiently, and possibly could extend the life of your unit.
The most significant thing you can do on your own is to swap out the air filter in your air conditioner. The filter captures dust, pollen, pet hair and other debris, and removes those contaminants from the air circulating inside your home. If your AC filter becomes choked with debris, the air conditioner has to work harder than it is supposed to in order to pull air through the filter. A clean filter traps the airborne debris while still enabling air to flow easily through the system.
Replacement filters are available at most popular home improvement stores, hardware stores or can be purchased from your local HVAC expert. A good way to make sure you get the right filter is to look at your old one before you head out for the store, noting the size of the filter. If you’re not familiar with filters, it’s also a good idea to note the filtration level of the current filter if you are wanting to buy something similar.
For comprehensive service of your air conditioner, contact the skilled professionals like the crew at H & H Service Company to do scheduled maintenance on your unit. They’ll examine your system, clean or lubricate parts that require attention and look for worn-out parts and potential issues.
2. How Do I Clean Air Conditioner Coils?
In addition to making certain that your indoor AC unit is functioning efficiently, it’s necessary to tend to your outdoor unit. Cleaning the coils on the outdoor unit of your AC is an easy way to improve its efficiency and can extend the life of your entire system.
The coils, which are attached to extensions called fins, are used to release heat from the refrigerant into the outside air. This brings down the temperature of the refrigerant, which then goes back into your home so it can take in more heat from the air in your home's interior. Cleaning the fins and the coils is a way to help them release heat more easily.
To clean your air conditioner’s fins and coil:
1) First, shut off power to the outdoor unit. It’s best to flip off the the on/off switch, instead of turning the thermostat off.
2) Lift off the top of the outdoor AC so you can access the inside of the unit. Then, being careful not to stress any cords or attachments, safely put the top to the side.
3) Spray a cleaning solution on the fins, beginning at the top and working down. Commercial coil cleaners are sold and commonly found in both the canned aerosol spray from as well as products foaming solutions that are sprayed on with an attachment to your garden hose.
4) Follow directions on the product to apply. For most cleaners, it's advised that you spray the product on, let the cleaner soak in for a short period of time to attack the grime and then gently spray it off with a garden hose. Take care not to spray very hard, because that could damage the coils or fins!
5) Secure the top back on the unit and then wait for the coils and fins to dry before turning the unit back on.
3. How Long Do Air Conditioners Last?
The life span of an air conditioner depends on the type of unit, its quality, how often it's maintained and how frequently it's used. That said, industry experts say you should start looking into air conditioner replacement after about 12-15 years.
One of the best ways to get maximum value from your HVAC is through regular conditioner maintenance. Maintenance service from H & H Service Company features cleaning and inspecting the machinery, as well as putting in a new filter and repairing any worn-out or broken parts. To keep your unit operating as long as it can, call us today to schedule air conditioning maintenance in Mechanicsburg.
4. What Size Air Conditioner Should I Have?
Finding the correct sized air conditioner for your home is crucial for keeping comfort and efficiency. Here are some factors to think about when deciding what size air conditioner is right for your home:
- Square footage: The total area of the space you want to cool is one of the biggest factors. Larger spaces demand more cooling power.
- Home insulation: Well-insulated homes retain cool air better, which can decrease your cooling needs.
- Climate: If you reside in a hotter climate, you'll require a more powerful air conditioner compared to a homeowner living in a cooler place.
- Number of windows: Windows frequently let in heat, in particular when they're south-facing or not well-insulated.
- Number of occupants: More people in the house means greater body heat, which can impact your cooling needs.
- Existing HVAC system: The size and effectiveness of your current system can provide a starting point for determining what you need.
Given that the size of your AC is so essential to your home’s comfort, you will definitely want a professional opinion. At H & H Service Company, we take the time to completely understand your family’s lifestyle, comfort needs and the many other considerations such as your home’s design and size. This attention to detail and dedication to customer service is why H & H Service Company is known for excellent air conditioning installation in Mechanicsburg.
5. What Is the Cost of a New Air Conditioner?
While prices vary depending on the kind of the unit and your home’s unique needs, a new AC generally costs between $5,000 and $12,500 to purchase and install. The good thing is that new air conditioners are developed to be extremely efficient, so they do more with less power when compared to older units.
The price tag of an air conditioner is influenced by several factors during the manufacturing process, such as the cost and availability of raw materials, manufacturing and labor costs as well as federal regulations that necessitate changes to the design.
Realize these are average costs and prices can fluctuate. It's always helpful to get numerous quotes from trustworthy HVAC companies before making a choice. If you’re thinking about air conditioning replacement in Mechanicsburg, reach out to H & H Service Company. We can provide you with a complimentary estimate, make sure you understand the plan and help connect you with available rebates or discounts.
6. Why Do Air Conditioners Freeze Up?
An AC freezing up can be a consequence of a variety of factors, all of which boil down to the failure of your system to efficiently transfer heat. If your AC is having issues causing it to freeze up, it is very likely time for air conditioning repair.
Here are some typical triggers for AC freezing up:
- Inadequate airflow: If the air isn't flowing easily through your AC system, it can't effectively absorb heat. This could be due to a plugged air filter, obstructed return air ducts or a failing fan.
- Low refrigerant levels: If your air conditioner is running low on refrigerant, it may grow too cold and freeze up. This is often a consequence of leakages in the refrigerant lines.
- Cold outdoor temperatures: Using an air conditioner when it's really cold outside can cause the system to freeze. Many units aren't designed to work in temperatures lower than 60 degrees Fahrenheit (15 degrees Celsius).
- Mechanical failures: Faulty thermostats, damaged blower motors and trouble with the relay or control board can all contribute to an AC unit freezing up.
H & H Service Company is your Trusted Source for Air Conditioning Service in Mechanicsburg.
At H & H Service Company, we are focusing on making your home a comfortable and soothing place. Our knowledgeable technicians are up-to-date on the latest industry training and trends, and are experienced on a wide variety of systems. That’s why community members make us the premier choice for air conditioning repair in Mechanicsburg and nearby cities.
If you’re looking to upgrade or its time for a new unit, we’ve got you covered there too, with our first-rate air conditioning installation in Mechanicsburg. No matter what, we can help you solve your cooling issues!
Contact H & H Service Company today at 717-220-4502 to schedule an appointment or no-cost estimate!