They say knowledge is power, and that’s certainly the truth when talking about your air conditioner. While complex repairs are best left to specialists, it’s helpful to have a practical understanding of your air conditioner and how to solve common AC issues.
Learning how your AC works and the common problems it faces will allow you to deal with little problems without needing to call an HVAC specialist every time. This not only saves you cash on minor service calls, but realizing when to contact a professional can help prevent small issues from escalating into major repairs.
Your Air conditioning unit is a fundamental element of your home comfort. Because of that, you should always err on the side of caution and call a NATE-certified professional for air conditioning repair in Mechanicsburg if you're unsure about any aspect of your air conditioner's operation or maintenance.
Here are several common questions people ask our experts about their air conditioners:
1. How Do I Clean an Air Conditioner?
Cleaning your AC is a good way to make sure it works efficiently, and very well could extend the life of your unit.
The most important action you can take on your own is to change the air filter in your air conditioner. The filter traps dust, pollen, pet hair and other debris, and removes those impurities from the air circulating inside your home. If your AC filter becomes choked with debris, the air conditioner has to work harder than it is supposed to in order to force air through the filter. A clean filter traps the airborne debris while still enabling air to flow freely through the system.
Replacement filters are available at most major home improvement stores, hardware stores or can be bought from your local HVAC professional. A good way to make sure you get the proper filter is to look at your old one before you leave for the store, jotting down the size of the filter. If you’re not familiar with filters, it’s also helpful to note the filtration level of the current filter if you are wanting to buy something similar.
For comprehensive service of your air conditioner, contact the experienced professionals like the crew at H & H Service Company to do routine maintenance on your AC. They’ll examine your system, clean or lubricate parts that need it and look for worn-out parts and potential issues.
2. How Do I Clean Air Conditioner Coils?
In addition to ensuring your indoor air conditioner equipment is working efficiently, it’s also a good idea to tend to your outdoor unit. Cleaning the coils on the outdoor unit of your air conditioner is a quick way to improve its efficiency and can extend the life of your entire system.
The coils, which include extensions called fins, are used to release heat from the refrigerant to the outdoors. This brings down the temperature of the refrigerant, which then goes back inside your home so it can take in more heat from the air in your home's interior. Cleaning the fins and the coils can help them release heat more effectively.
To clean your air conditioner’s fins and coil:
1) First, shut off power to the outdoor unit. It’s best to flip off the the on/off switch, rather than turning the thermostat off.
2) Remove the top of the outdoor AC so you can reach the inside of the unit. Then, taking care not to stress any cords or attachments, safely set the top to the side.
3) Put a cleaning solution on the fins, beginning at the top and moving down. Commercial coil cleaners are available and commonly found in both the canned aerosol spray from as well as brands foaming solutions that are applied with your garden hose.
4) Follow directions on the product to apply. For most cleaners, it's suggested that you spray the product on, let the cleaner soak in for a small period of time to dissolve the grime and then carefully spray it off with a garden hose. Be cautious not to spray very hard, because that could ruin the coils or fins!
5) Secure the top back on the unit and then wait for the components to dry before turning it back on.
3. How Long Do Air Conditioners Last?
The life span of an air conditioner can vary based on the type of unit, its quality, how well it's maintained and how much it's used. That said, experts say you should start thinking about air conditioner replacement after about 12-15 years.
One of the best ways to get the most mileage out of your system is through AC conditioner maintenance. Tuneups from H & H Service Company includes cleaning and inspecting the machinery, as well as putting in a new filter and mending any worn-out or broken parts. To keep your unit operating as long as possible, reach out to us today to schedule air conditioning maintenance in Mechanicsburg.
4. What Size Air Conditioner Do I Need?
Finding the correct sized air conditioner for your home is vital for achieving comfort and efficiency. Here are some factors to consider when deciding what size air conditioner to buy for your home:
- Square footage: The size of the space you have to cool is one of the biggest factors. More expansive spaces necessitate more cooling power.
- Home insulation: Well-insulated homes hold cool air better, which could decrease your cooling needs.
- Climate: If you are living in a hotter climate, you'll require a more powerful air conditioner compared to a person living in a cooler climate.
- Number of windows: Windows often let in heat, particularly when they're south-facing or not well-insulated.
- Number of occupants: More people in the house create greater body heat, which can affect your cooling needs.
- Existing HVAC system: The size and performance of your current system can provide a jumping off point for deciding what you need.
Given that the size of your AC is so critical to your home’s comfort, you will almost certainly want a professional opinion. At H & H Service Company, we take the time to fully understand your family’s lifestyle, comfort needs and the many other considerations such as your home’s layout and size. This attention to detail and commitment to customer service is why H & H Service Company is known for excellent air conditioning installation in Mechanicsburg.
5. How Much Does an Air Conditioner Cost?
While prices fluctuate depending on the kind of the unit and your home’s unique requirements, a new air conditioner generally costs between $5,000 and $12,500 to purchase and install. The good news is that new air conditioners are designed to be exceedingly efficient, so they do more with less power when compared to older units.
The cost of an air conditioner is affected by several factors during the manufacturing process, such as the cost and availability of raw materials, manufacturing and labor costs as well as federal regulations that require modifications to the design.
Note these are average costs and prices can differ. It's always smart to get at least a few quotes from trusted HVAC companies before making a choice. If you’re interested in air conditioning replacement in Mechanicsburg, get in touch with H & H Service Company. We will provide you with a complimentary estimate, make sure you understand the process and help connect you with available rebates or discounts.
6. What Causes an Air Conditioner to Freeze Up?
An air conditioner freezing up can be caused by multiple factors, all of which boil down to the system's inability to efficiently transfer heat. If your air conditioner is experiencing issues causing it to freeze up, it is more than likely time for air conditioning repair.
Here are some common reasons for AC freezing up:
- Poor airflow: If the air isn't flowing easily through your AC system, it can't properly absorb heat. This could be due to a dirty air filter, obstructed return air ducts or a failing fan.
- Low refrigerant levels: If your air conditioner is starting to get low on refrigerant, it can grow too cold and freeze up. This is usually because of leakages in the refrigerant lines.
- Cold outdoor temperatures: Operating your air conditioner when it's really cold outside can cause the system to freeze. Most units aren't designed to work in temperatures below 60 degrees Fahrenheit (15 degrees Celsius).
- Mechanical failures: Malfunctioning thermostats, damaged blower motors and trouble with the relay or control board can all play a role in an AC unit freezing up.
H & H Service Company is the Trustworthy Source for Air Conditioning Service in Mechanicsburg.
At H & H Service Company, we will make your home a comfortable and enjoyable place. Our skilled professionals are up-to-date on the latest industry training and trends, and work on on a wide variety of systems. That’s why community members make us the premier choice for air conditioning repair in Mechanicsburg and the surrounding towns.
If you’re looking to upgrade or its time for a replacement, we’ve got you covered there too, with our first-class air conditioning installation in Mechanicsburg. No matter what, we can help you solve your cooling issues!
Contact H & H Service Company today at 717-220-4502 to schedule an appointment or complimentary estimate!