While winter weather seems like it’s already been here for far too long, its impact on our heating bill is just beginning. Achieving low energy costs during the coldest months of the year can be tough, but that doesn’t mean you can’t take steps to potentially lower those costs. That’s why we’ve jotted down a few furnace tips to help keep heating bills from skyrocketing.
To start controlling your heating bills and boosting your energy efficiency this winter, consider:
- Keeping your blinds open over the warmest hours of the day to allow sunlight in, warming your home naturally.
- Sealing cracks around your home’s windows and doors with caulk or weather stripping.
- Adding a programmable thermostat so that you can better control the temperature in your home, which will also improve energy efficiency.
- Cleaning or replacing your furnace filter every few months.
- Making sure your home’s heating vents are open and aren’t blocked by any obstructions
- Replacing your old furnace with a newer, more efficient model if your current furnace is more than 15 years old.
- Adding insulation to your attic to keep the heat trapped inside.
- Checking your roof to make sure your shingles are intact, and that there aren’t holes or cracks that will need to be sealed.
Trying to keep your energy bills down and energy efficiency up, is a year-round effort, one that can seem overwhelming at times. However, that doesn’t mean that you can’t do a few small things to make sure you’re keeping your bills as low as possible. If you have any questions related to the tips above or questions about how you can reduce your heating bills, give us a call at 717-220-4502. Our experts are here to help make sure your home is comfortable all year long, even with the crazy Mechanicsburg weather.