On average, air ducts need to be cleaned every three to five years according to the National Air Duct Cleaners Association
. Dependent on a lot of factors—like your home’s location, whether or not you have pets, and how often your air filter has been replaced, to name a handful—you may require air duct cleaning
more or less often. So, how can you tell for sure when it’s time to have your ducts cleaned? There are certainly some significant signs when it’s time.
Look for these clues:
- Are your cold air returns coated with dust or pet hair?
- Is there an obstruction inside your cold air return vent?
- Are your registers wafting out dust?
- When you look inside with a flashlight, can you see a buildup of debris or pet fur?
- Have insects or rodents made a home in your ductwork?
- Can you hear clatter other than your blower motor when you listen to the airflow?
- When your vents are fully opened, do any have not as much airflow than others?
If you answered “yes” to any of these questions, it’s most likely time to ask H & H Service Company in Mechanicsburg about air duct cleaning.
Prolonging Time Between Air Duct Cleaning
There are some things you can do to help keep your ducts cleaner and prolong the timeline between specialized cleanings.
Mostly importantly, schedule regular HVAC maintenance with the professionals at H & H Service Company. A tune-up of your furnace each fall and your AC each spring, which should comprise of inspection, and potential replacement, of your air filter, will help keep your HVAC system running well, and may help keep your ducts clean.
You can also chat with the team at H & H Service Company about installing an air purification system. We provide the Lennox PureAir Air Purification System, Healthy Climate Carbon Clean 16 Media Air Cleaner, Healthy Climate 11 Media Air Cleaner, Healthy Climate High-Efficiency Particulate Air (HEPA) Filtration System and Healthy Climate UV Germicidal Lights.
Other measures you can take include:
- Consistently dusting and vacuuming your home.
- Checking your air filters habitually and changing them when the manufacturer recommends replacing them. Most filters will present dust on them after a short period in service, but they may not demand replacement.
- Sealing seepages in air ducts that allow dust to move in from areas like your attic.
- Replacing poor or broken air-duct insulation.
With a specialized air duct cleaning and some preemptive measures, you can help keep the air in your Mechanicsburg home clean and healthy. Give the pros at H & H Service Company a call at 717-220-4502.