As the heat rises, so does your air conditioning costs. To keep your air conditioning costs down you might be asking yourself, is it cheaper to leave your AC on all day in the summer in Mechanicsburg?
It’s a popular belief that turning your air conditioner on and off throughout the day is wasteful. This is actually not true.
Keeping your air conditioning running all day means you’re not using it very efficiently. We suggest moving your thermostat to a higher setting when you’re elsewhere, and turning it back down when you come back. You can accomplish this with a programmable thermostat. Or, a smart thermostat will do the work for you.
It’s significantly more taxing for your system to achieve a consistent temperature throughout the day. It can also lead to a lot of strain on your equipment, since it’s constantly turning on and off.
So, on top of it increasing your energy bills, it might also result in a shorter life span for your AC unit.
No matter what, the bigger the difference between your home’s temperature and the outside temperature, the more your energy bills will be. So, what can you do to stay cool and keep your energy bills lower in the hot weather? Here are our ideas based off of recommendations from the U.S Department of Energy (DOE) and ENERGY STAR®.
6 Approaches to Boost Your Air Conditioner’s Energy Efficiency
- Tweak Your Temperature. The DOE states that you can save up to 10% yearly on heating and cooling by raising your thermostat 7-10 degrees while you’re out. During the summer months, it’s recommended to position your thermostat at 78 degrees while you’re home and 88 degrees when you’re away. It’s equally as important to forgo setting your thermostat to a lower setting than usual when you turn on your air conditioner. This doesn’t actually cool your residence any quicker, it just causes bigger utility costs. While these temperatures might feel high, there are a number of approaches to keep comfortable without having to consistently run the air conditioner.
- Take Advantage of Fans, Curtains and Blinds. ENERGY STAR says dialing up the thermostat by a mere 2 degrees and turning on your ceiling fan can lessen air conditioning costs by up to 14% throughout the summer season. It’s important to remember that fans cool people, not rooms. So, when you head out of the room, turn the fan off to conserve energy. Additionally, keeping blinds down and curtains shut for the duration of the day helps keep cooler air in. There are also some window treatments designed to deliver additional insulation and improve energy efficiency.
- Properly Seal All Doors, Windows and Openings. Leaky gaps throughout a home allow for conditioned air to easily escape and warm air to get inside. This may lead to your AC needing to work harder to keep your house cool and your energy costs to rise. Make sure that any openings, doors and windows are suitably sealed. Caulking or weather-stripping are easy solutions for leaks or drafts close to windows and doors.
- Plan for Regular Checkups. Scheduling air conditioner maintenance ensures your system is always running at its best. This lets our professionals to find little issues before they turn into substantial problems. A maintained AC is usually more efficient and might even live longer.
- Install a Smart Thermostat. One of the greatest approaches to assure comfort and cost-effectiveness is with a smart thermostat. This thermostat intuitively adjusts the temperature based on your regular schedule. It works with your smartphone to notice when you’re at your house or gone to maximize your energy efficiency. In fact, ENERGY STAR mentions that a smart thermostat could possibly save you about $180 every year on HVAC expenses.
- Consider Replacing Your Air Conditioning Unit. You can figure a properly taken care of AC unit to run for 15-20 years. But if you’re regularly needing us for air conditioning repair or your AC costs are rising with no shifts in thermostat settings, it could be time for an upgrade. We supply numerous energy-efficient air conditioners, such as ENERGY STAR models that can help you save more on cooling without compromising comfort.
Improve Your Home’s Energy Efficiency with H & H Service Company
No one likes to see their energy bill increase during the summer season. If you’re in search of more ways to keep your energy use and expenses lower this summer, our professionals can help. Give us a call at 717-220-4502 or contact us online right away for extra information.