As the heat increases, so does your energy costs. To keep your air conditioning costs under control you could be wondering, is it cheaper to leave your AC on all day in the summer in Mechanicsburg?
It’s a widespread belief that turning your AC unit on and off throughout the day is a waste of energy. This is actually false.
Keeping your AC running all the time means you’re not using it very efficiently. We advise adjusting your thermostat higher when you’re elsewhere, and turning it back down when you come back. You can achieve this with a programmable thermostat. Or, a smart thermostat will do the work for you.
It’s much more taxing for your system to keep a constant temperature for many hours. It can also result in a lot of strain on your system, since it’s constantly turning on and off.
So, on top of it increasing your energy bills, it may also lead to a shorter life span for your air conditioner.
No matter what, the larger the difference between your home’s temperature and the outside temperature, the higher your air conditioning expenses will be. So, what can you do to remain cool and keep your utility bills low in the hot weather? Here are our suggestions based off of recommendations from the U.S Department of Energy (DOE) and ENERGY STAR®.
Six Approaches to Boost Your Air Conditioner’s Energy Efficiency
- Change Your Thermostat. The DOE states that you can conserve up to 10% a year on heating and cooling by raising your thermostat 7-10 degrees while you’re away. In the summer, it’s suggested to keep your thermostat at 78 degrees at the time you’re home and 88 degrees when you’re out. It’s equally as important to forgo setting your thermostat to a lower setting than normal when you turn on your AC unit. This doesn’t actually cool off your residence any faster, it just causes bigger energy bills. While these temperatures could appear toasty, there are a number of methods to keep comfortable without having to constantly run the air conditioning.
- Use Fans, Curtains and Blinds. ENERGY STAR says raising the thermostat by only 2 degrees and utilizing your ceiling fan can lower energy by up to 14% over the course of the summer season. It’s important to be mindful that that fans cool people, not rooms. So, when you exit the room, turn the fan off to conserve energy. Additionally, keeping blinds down and curtains shut throughout the day helps keep conditioned air inside. There are also some window treatments designed to deliver added insulation and increase energy efficiency.
- Adequately Seal All Doors, Windows and Openings. Leaky cracks throughout a house enable conditioned air to easily slip out and the heat to get inside. This may result in your AC equipment needing to work harder to keep your residence cool and your utility bills to increase. Check that any openings, doors and windows are adequately sealed. Caulking or weather-stripping are quick fixes for leaks or drafts close to windows and doors.
- Arrange Annual Maintenance. Scheduling air conditioner maintenance ensures your equipment is always performing at its most efficient. This permits our experts to find small issues before they result in substantial problems. A clean air conditioner is usually more efficient and can even run for a longer period of time.
- Invest in a Smart Thermostat. One of the greatest methods to guarantee comfort and energy savings is with a smart thermostat. This thermostat instinctively adjusts the temperature based on your daily schedule. It works with your smartphone to notice when you’re at home or elsewhere to enhance your efficiency. In fact, ENERGY STAR states that a smart thermostat could potentially save you about $180 per year on energy costs.
- Consider Replacing Your AC. You can figure a properly cared for AC to live for 15-20 years. But if you’re often calling us for air conditioning repair or your energy bills are rising with no change in thermostat settings, it might be time for a replacement. We carry many energy-efficient air conditioners, like ENERGY STAR models that can help you save more on cooling without bargaining comfort.
Improve Your Residence’s Energy Efficiency with H & H Service Company
No one wants to see their electricity bill climb during the summer season. If you’re looking for more ways to keep your energy usage and costs down this summer, our team can help. Give us a call at 717-220-4502 or contact us online right away for more details.