Summer weather in Mechanicsburg can be brutal. But you don’t have to pick between being comfortably cool and saving money on your utility costs. We’ve compiled some tips to help you out.
The greatest thing you can do to stay comfy and maintain energy efficiency is by maintaining your air conditioner. ENERGY STAR® recommends keeping your system operating reliably and efficiently, and H & H Service Company is here to help. During an AC tune-up appointment, we’ll complete the following tasks recommended by ENERGY STAR and more:
- Tighten all electrical connections and measure voltage and current on motors to be sure there’s safe operation of your system and the possibility of a longer life for major components.
- Clean the air conditioner’s evaporator and condenser coils as needed. Dirty coils require your system to operate harder to do its job.
- Check system controls to make sure of proper and safe operation.
- Check refrigerant levels.
- Clean and adjust blower components to be sure of accurate system airflow.
Another critical piece to keeping cool is regularly checking your air conditioner’s air filter. A dirty filter can boost energy expenses and damage your equipment, leading to untimely failure. Our H & H Service Company experts will look at these for you at your tune-up appointment, but you’ll want to follow the manufacturer’s recommendations to make your own schedule to switch them out.
Here are some other tips to keep your home comfortable and energy-efficient:
- Check thermostat settings to be sure your air conditioner keeps you comfortable when you are home and saves energy while you are not around.
- If it is cool at night, you can turn off your air conditioner and open your windows. Let the crisp air cool your home for you! In the morning, shut your windows and window coverings to hold on to the cool air and block the sun’s heat.
- Use fans to your advantage. An ENERGY-STAR ceiling fan will allow you to set your thermostat a bit higher than you normally would without feeling any changes in your comfort level.
- Another kind of fan people seem to forget about when they’re attempting to keep cool is their bathroom ventilation fan. Be sure to run yours when you shower as well as 20 minutes or longer after you’re done to get rid of the heat and humidity from your home.
- Avoid leaving lights on and running many appliances on the hottest days. Obviously, your stovetop and oven put heat into your home, but even normal activities like watching TV, working on the computer, and drying or curling your hair can up the heat in your home.
If you’d like more ideas on how to keep your home cool and energy efficient this summer, give H & H Service Company at call at 717-220-4502 or request an appointment with us online.